Saturday, April 09, 2005

A Good Yarn, A Great Day

Thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law for a fabulous afternoon. It was the perfect way to spend a sunny Saturday. First we knit a little. She is working on her first pair of socks and asked for a quick lesson on grafting. I hope I demonstrated it okay, but if not there is a helpful grafting tutorial at knitty.com.

We learned that it's almost impossible for us to knit and talk at the same time! I think we just need more practice. After a delicious lunch we headed off to a A Good Yarn so I could use my birthday gift certificate. What a sight. All those beautiful colors! It's like a candy store. The selection of sock yarns was incredible, Regia, Sockotta, Lorna's Laces, Koigu, and Opal handpainted. And lots and lots of solids, which can sometimes be hard to find. I have so much sock yarn already - I didn't buy any today, but it's just nice to know they have so much to choose from, when I'm ready.



I used my gift certificate to buy this luscious Noro Silk Garden. The colors are luminous and I can't wait to get it on the needles. Maybe it will become a summer shawl or scarf. I took this picture outside and the colors are even more beautiful in the natural light.

I also purchased this pattern for the Austrian Stitch Cardigan from Harrisville Designs. I plan to use my Debbie Bliss Merino Aran in light blue.

Thanks Mom, for a great day. Can't wait to do it again!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Ooh, I love Silk Garden. I made a Klaralund sweater last year, but keep thinking about "recycling" it into something different.

Pretty colors!