Monday, May 09, 2005

Going Postal

The post office attempted to deliver my Knit Picks package on Saturday and no one was home. After reviewing the very complicted PS 3849 form left behind, I designated an "agent" (a.k.a. Jeff) authorized to pick up my package at the post office. It took me at least 15 minutes to decipher exactly which box needed my signature.

Jeff took his appointment as my agent very seriously, and stopped at the post office around 10:30 a.m. today. Upon presentation of PS 3849, the postal clerk informed him that my package was not there. It was with the mail carrier and scheduled for "re-delivery". Huh? How could that be? Didn't they need this form returned before they could do anything with the package?

The clerk took the form from Jeff's hand and pointed to my signature, and said, "See, the recipient signed it right here, asking for it to be re-delivered". (Actually, I signed the box designating my "agent", but the print is teeny tiny, so I'll cut her a break on that.) But let me get this straight, when the postman left on his appointed rounds prior to 10:30 a.m., he somehow knew that this signed form was sitting on my kitchen table? Apparently, the post office is employing clever new mind reading techniques, which I can only assume are allowed under the Patriot Act.

Bottom line, the postman has come and gone and my Knit Picks package has still not arrived. If you happen to see a mail carrier wearing these socks, please let me know.

No comments: