Tuesday, September 06, 2005

In Pursuit of Perfection


Fall is in the air. Can't you just smell it? Max can.

Yesterday was a picture perfect day. Temps in the high 70s, bright sunshine, vivid blue sky. Suddenly, we've gone from summer to autumn, which means it is time to unearth the Debbie Bliss cardigan from the knitting basket. Yes, I know you are all sick to death of the progress updates on this sweater that will never end, but please believe that I am DETERMINED to finish this before October 1. Of this year. Hopefully.

I was almost done, but as I laid out all the finished pieces I noticed that the right front was a completely different shape than the left front. Apparently, I'd gone a little crazy with the decreases. Instead of just shaping the neck edge, I threw in a few extra (incorrect) decrease rows along the sleeve edge, making the whole thing more of a trapezoid than a rectangle. ARGH.

So rip, rip, rip, and I was off again trying to make the right match the left. After an hour or two of knitting, I noticed a mistake on the cable pattern. So I ripped out the 20 offending rows and began again. I'm almost there, but now I realize that there are at least 4 extra rows of ribbing on the right front as well. I can't explain any of these mistakes. I am really obsessive about recording every row and decrease in my little yellow knitting notebook. To keep me organized. So pieces will match. So I won't make mistakes. Ha.

I'm struggling with this dilemma...do I use "creative blocking" to make it fit, or do I continue my pursuit of perfection and start the whole piece over from the beginning?

No comments: