Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What I Need

The alarm went off at 5 AM, I was on the road by 6:15, at a marketing seminar until 10, and back in my windowless cubicle writing and re-writing the latest client proposal til after 6 PM. When I finally finished editing and proofing and formatting and paginating, I hit convert to PDF. My computer immediately said "No way lady, it's been a long day and I am DONE", and promptly froze up, while the tears welled up in my eyes. Sigh.

I put on my hat, scarf, gloves, and down jacket, got into my freezing cold car and drove home. During the frigid ride, I realized what I need.

I need the Red Sox. I need sunshine. I need summer. I need to wear my Varitek jersey, jean shorts and flip flops. I need a hot dog and a beer. I need to hold my cap over my heart as the national anthem plays. I need soft serve ice cream in a blue plastic batting cap. I need to hear the giggly antics of Jerry and Don. I need to hear Sweet Caroline. I need to hear the deep baritone voice of the Fenway Peanut guy. I need to see Dennis Drinkwater in his position behind the plate. I need to see Papi flipping his helmet as he bounces into home.

Until then, I'm watching this. Over and over and over. It'll help, but not for much longer.

No comments: