Monday, October 22, 2007

Keep Your Chin Up

Last weekend I finished the Madeira Cascade Scarf. Apologies for the very dark image. And no, I don't have a giraffe neck. I'm just following the advice of a kind photographer I met once while vacationing in the Dominican Republic.

You know the story. The photographer is hired by the hotel to take pictures of the guests poolside, happy, smiling, and holding umbrella drinks. You feel like a supermodel when the picture is snapped and then you see it on the huge display board in the lobby that evening on your way to the dinner buffet and you'll pay any price to get it off that wall, because you're thinking, "Oh My God, is that what I really look like in a bathing suit???"

Anyway, that kind Caribbean photographer told me to always keep my chin up when being photographed. It's one piece of advice I always follow.

This scarf pattern was enjoyable and fairly easy to memorize after a few repeats. The yarn, Crystal Palace Kid Merino, is pretty, but tempermental and sticky, as mohair can be. Undoing mistakes was annoying. This particluar colorway of purple and green looks nice with my denim jacket. In the end, I'm happy enough with it, but as you maybe can see in my very bad photo, it is a bit floppy, lacking in structure. Next time, a sturdier yarn might be a better choice.

No comments: