Thursday, March 24, 2005

Reading About Knitting

I really can't complain about my lack of knitting time, since I spend so much of my time writing and reading about knitting, but I wanted to share my thoughts on a couple of books I recently finished.

Anita Shreve's Light on Snow
I was so moved by this story. Reading on the train, I had to put it down for a moment, afraid I was going to start crying right there. The main character, Nicky, a 12-year old girl, is so authentic. I just fell in love with her. Even before it was revealed that she knits and makes jewelry! If you've forgotten the agony, the frustration, and the wonder of being 12, I suggest you pick up this book. It's a good read.

The Shop on Blossom Street, by Debbie Macomber
This one I picked up only because of the subject -- a 30-something woman takes a big risk and opens a yarn store. She meets a group of woman who form an unlikely knitting circle. Unfortunately, it was less than impressive. Way too predicatable. And far too little knitting content for a book supposedly about a yarn shop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I have really enjoyed reading your postings.
You are a wonderful and very talented daughter-in-law.
I am going on retreat next week and plan to bring my knitting along as well as reading one of your suggested books, "light on Snow". Love to Jeff