It's official! I have a secret pal! I am a secret pal newbie and very much looking forward to giving and getting some fun surprises this summer. So to my secret pal, and to anyone else who might be interested, here's some info about me.
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
That term "yarn snob" sounds so harsh, but okay, I'll admit it, I prefer the "real" stuff. Wool is so much nicer to work with than acrylic and the finished product just looks so much better. At least to my eyes. That's not to say I haven't used Lion Brand and Sugar and Cream, and Fun Fur. If it's on sale a Michael's and the color is just right, I just might add it to my stash.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I went through a crocheted doily phase a few years ago, and it was a lot of fun. I keep saying one of these days I'll pick that up again. I've never learned to spin, but hopefully someday I can try that too.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Very very allergic to cats. And angora makes me sneeze.
4. How long have you been knitting?
On and off for about 30 years. (I started very young!)
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Nothing too heavy or sweet. I like fresh, citrusy scents. Bath and Body used to have a great bath spray that reminded me of fresh cut grass, which I loved.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
If it's chocolate, I'm eating it.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Let's take a tour of my basement. There are half finished needlepoint kits, boxes and boxes of fabric squares for quilting, wax and scents for candlemaking, oils and molds for soapmaking, beads by the dozen for jewelry making. Basically, if it's crafty, I'll give it a try at least once.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s?
(if your buddy wants to make you a CD). I like a wide variety of music, from country to classical, hard rock, alternative, top 40. I don't have an MP3 player at the moment, but plan to very soon.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
A friend recently "did my colors" and told me I'm a spring, which means pinks, blues, reds, light greens, creams, violet / lavendar. Yellow and orange look horrible on me.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married, no kids. One crazy dog.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
In a perfect world, I would own a little gift shop by the ocean and sell beautiful knitted and other hand-crafted items to very friendly tourists.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I've never actually knit with it, but I just love any kind of alpaca. So soft! Koigu PPPM is also on my wish list.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'm not a big fan of scratchy yarns. I've never used Lopi. The colors always entice me, but it just feels to itchy for my taste.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I guess that would have to be socks. I knit them constantly. I especially like anything with cables and lace.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
17. What are you knitting right now?
Other than the socks, I'm working on a Debbie Bliss hooded jacket at the moment. Enjoying the cables.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I might make one for a niece, but I can't see myself wearing one.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circular. I knit alot while traveling, and circs just make it easier. Also, I sometimes get a touch of carpal tunnel, and the circs help.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Either bamboo or aluminum, depending on the yarn I'm using. I especially like Susan Bates Silverado. They are very smooth.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
22. How did you learn to knit?
My very wonderful Polish Babchi taught me when I was a little girl.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Probably about 7 or 8 months. Well actually, there is a sweater made of Lion Brand in a box in the basement from about 5 years ago that needs to be put together. I am really a "process knitter". A finished product is just a bonus for me.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
That would be Wally, the Green Monster.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
I would say Thanksgiving, because it's all about food and family, without the pressure of buying gifts.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
I'm not a big collector, but over the past few years, I've started a collection of little turtles. Wood, glass, stone, crystal. I've started picking them up everytime I travel to a new city. It's amazing how often you can find turtles in hotel gift shops!
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Knitters, Family Circle Easy Knitting, Vogue Knitting
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Scarf Style looks very interesting. And I'm always checking out sock books.