Friday, December 29, 2006

He DOES Listen to Me

Did you all have a happy Christmas, Hanuka, Kwanza, Solstice?

Like a typical schedule-crazy American I am already planning for next year. I will take off the week between Christmas and New Year's because it will only require 3 vacation days for 9 days off (including weekends). Three for one is always a good deal.
Until then, I have some wonderful gifts to keep me busy.
During all my rushing and shopping and general consumer nuttiness the week before Christmas, I saw an "Opening Soon" sign in my neighborhood for one of my all time favorite stores. In a fit of excitement, I told him all about it, never expecting him to really be interested.
He also listened when I babbled on and on about my new found love for one Ms. Elizabeth Zimmerman. And Victorian Lace shawls.














And when my SIL asked him what I'd like in the family gift grab, he suggested these. I just about died. These are the softest, most luxurious, decadant gloves I have ever owned. And I never, ever, ever would have bought them for myself.

Finally, all these photos were taken with my new digital camera. It is a beautiful, shiny thing, full of mysterious buttons and dials. But I am hopeful, no, I am confident, that I will learn to master its complexity so I can share with you all (all four of you who read this blog) some lovely photos in the new year.
Honestly, I feel a bit silly writing a post about what I got for Christmas. I am a grown woman after all - at least I'm expected to act like one - which means no going on and on about all the stuff you got.
But, you know what, I'm happy that my husband, who often appears not to be listening, actually was. And I'm very pleased that he took the time to really think about what might make me happy.
When I was a little girl my mother used to tell a story about how one Christmas, before I was born, my Dad gave her a pair of boots. Not sleek, fashionable leather boots, but big clunky nylon boots with fake fur cuffs and rubber soles. When she opened the box, looked at the contents, and looked up at him confused, he exclaimed with glee, "You can wear them when you shovel the driveway!!" The next year he gave her a hair dryer. Pretty soon, he just gave up. In early December he would hand her the Sears catalog and tell her to pick out exactly what she wanted so there would be no misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Not the best solution, but it was the best he could do.
They say the man you choose to marry will likely have traits similar to those of your father. That might be true, and I love my Dad very much, but he could certainly learn a thing or two from my husband when it comes to gift giving.

No comments: